Old Irish Trucking

Tom

Re: Old Irish Trucking

Post by Tom »

I think they did more versions of that van that might take less work to convert...

LM24HRS

Post by LM24HRS »

Long time since I've been into this tread Jerry. Loving what you are doing here. Cannot but admire the work. A subject that one day I would like to explore more.
Paul - "Collecting Motorsport in Miniature; for the passion and its history".

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

LM24HRS wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:57 am
Long time since I've been into this tread Jerry. Loving what you are doing here. Cannot but admire the work. A subject that one day I would like to explore more.
Thank Paul!
Jerry
Old Irish Racing Collection
https://www.oldirish.com/collection/models2.html

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Old Salt...
When I was a young impressionable lad growing up in the early 1960’s, land and water speed record attempts were often front page news. In the jet age, American’s were fascinated with what seemed like new records being set and old ones broken almost weekly. The idea that breaking the sound barrier on land might be possible, was riveting and so, record breaking was news more important than just for the sports pages.

The fact that almost all land speed record attempts in the early 1960’s were being done at Bonneville, gave the proceedings a nationalistic feel, even if the drivers might not be American. In this time, I came to admire Craig Breedlove, the Arfon’s and Summer’s brothers, but most particularly, Donald Campbell. I am sure a great deal of that was fueled by the Corgi model of his Bluebird I visualized as racing across the desert a few hundred miles away, setting new record after record. I have held onto that fascination with LSR and WSR attempts to this day and has become a subset of my collection.

When TSM announced the Series II Land Rover that was used as a support vehicle in Campbell’s 1960 LSR attempt at Bonneville, I immediately got my order in. Now, a couple years later it has arrived! The Series II Landy needs no introduction I’m sure. TSM have done their usual superb job of modeling the Land Rover. This iconic staple of on and off road adventures was part of the big launch of the Bluebird CN7 at Silverstone in 1960, as well as the actual ill-fated LSR attempts in Utah later that summer. One of my books shows what appears to be the same Land Rover again at Lake Eyre in Australia for the aborted attempt at reclaiming the record in 1963.

It’s uncertain to me if the Rover was used again for the successful attempt to reclaim the LSR in 1964 at 403.10 mph. Most likely it was given Campbell’s finances at the time. There is also a photo in one of my books of his water speed record breaking attempt in Australia in 1964 that shows a portion of a front fender which I think is this Landy. Here it is seen with the Bluebird as it appeared in 1963 & 1964 with the rear tail fin. A fine addition to my LSR collection and Campbell memorabilia.

Jerry

Jager

Post by Jager »

I have to say that set is very tempting Jerry, even if its way outside my usual collecting scope.

When can we expect to see the full diorama....we all know you have one planned :) .
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Tom

Post by Tom »

I visited Bonneville once and it made a huge impression on me, what a great place. Love the L-R, if LSR models weren't so expensive I'd have a couple.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

That has to be the coolest Land rover I havr seen this week, love the look, the story and your presentation.
Jeff

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

JSB33 wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:35 am
That has to be the coolest Land rover I havr seen this week, love the look, the story and your presentation.
Thanks and glad you liked it Jeff, I am quite taken with it too.
Tom wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:34 am
I visited Bonneville once and it made a huge impression on me, what a great place. Love the L-R, if LSR models weren't so expensive I'd have a couple.
I was there a few years ago Tom and the background photo was taken then. It is a magical place. We happened to be traveling through when the annual speed festival was happening. Unfortunately, no cars were running due to too much water on the course. Pot ash mining in the area has raised the water table. Hoping they take adequate steps soon to save the place!
Jager wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:24 pm
I have to say that set is very tempting Jerry, even if its way outside my usual collecting scope.

When can we expect to see the full diorama....we all know you have one planned :) .
Being that the 1964 record was set down there, it should be a natural for you Ian! :lol: Yes, there will be something coming down the road. ;)

Signs of Normalcy?: I came across this Elgior model while cruising eBay. I was delighted that it arrived in about three weeks from the Czech Republic. I thought it would take the mail a month or two. A sign that things are slowly getting back to normal?

CITROEN TYPE H FOURGON - ELGIOR

The H Type van was produced from 1947 to 1981 in factories in both France and Belgium. A small, compact light weight van, it competed heavily with the VW van of the period. Its popularity resulted in almost a half-million vans being produced. Using a detuned Traction Avant engine, the van had a 1.9L petrol, four-cylinder engine. It is turn produced a top-speed of 60 mph (100 kph). The van featured a corrugated sheet metal body, which in turn provided additional strength to the panels without increasing weight. Something common in early aircraft up into WWII.

Cute little bastard, couldn't resist! :lol:
Jerry

Tom

Post by Tom »

I can see why. These old H vans are so cool.

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic »

One of the joys of this hobby is finding a model that you had no intention of ever getting, and probably didn’t know existed, adding it and then getting a smile on your face every time you look at it. An absolute Gem.
Martin

Jager

Post by Jager »

The Citroen H vans never fail to please, especially when they have a racing connection.

As you may have seen Jerry, this appears to be part of a series of similar Barhdahl liveried models. There is also an Eligor 2CV and a Norev Renault Dauphine which appear to have been released in 2011. I wonder if they were promotional models commissioned by Bardahl themselves?

Tom

Post by Tom »

The 2CV is quite tempting too.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

Liking that H van a lot but then again, I always say that :lol:
Jeff

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

JSB33 wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:55 am
JSB33 wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:55 am
Tom wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:18 pm
I can see why. These old H vans are so cool.
Alfaholic wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:34 pm
One of the joys of this hobby is finding a model that you had no intention of ever getting, and probably didn’t know existed, adding it and then getting a smile on your face every time you look at it. An absolute Gem.
These old Citroen vans ooze charm and I wouldn't hesitate to add more if the livery fit with my service vehicle collection. You are right Martin, it was a joy to find and get it.
Jager wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:07 pm
The Citroen H vans never fail to please, especially when they have a racing connection.

As you may have seen Jerry, this appears to be part of a series of similar Barhdahl liveried models. There is also an Eligor 2CV and a Norev Renault Dauphine which appear to have been released in 2011. I wonder if they were promotional models commissioned by Bardahl themselves?
Tom wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:56 am
The 2CV is quite tempting too.
Perhaps Ian, but if that were the case, I would expect to see Bardahl prominently on the packaging of the van if it was used as a promotional item. Its also not in the yellow and black Bardahl livery which would tie into their branding today. The 2CV would be tempting Tom as a nice companion piece. They make/made two versions.
Jerry

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

1955 BMC Transporter: Through the assistance of a good friend who had the decals made and has already completed his replica of the transporter/mobile workshop used by BMC at Le Mans in 1955, I have started on mine, using an old Dinky Horse Van (no. 980) as the base. This will be a long term project, as I have decided that it is the time I taught myself how to do resin casting and photoetch. While this van is smaller than 1/43, when finished it will look good with my MG's from Le Mans in 1955.

To support their MGA effort at Le Mans in 1955, the newly formed BMC had a specialized race support van constructed from a Morris 5-ton truck chassis (FV or FE). Designed as a transporter, mobile workshop, crew quarters and field kitchen, the van was used by BMC for several years, undergoing modifications along the way. When it was no longer of use, it was sold and apparently used as a chicken coop in Ireland. A reconstruction of the original van was made, but without detailed original plans or drawings, it was done from photos and by memory of those that drove and/or worked for BMC at the time.

In 1955, the MGA’s raced at Le Mans were driven to the track in caravan, with the van in close support. It carried the spares, tires and other equipment required for the race. During the race, in back it had fold down bunks on which the crew could try and get some rest. It also had a large boiler which kept water hot for tea at all times, as well as a single ring burner for heating soup. Before the race, the crew was stationed at a nearby hotel and the courtyard was used as a rudimentary paddock. As needed, a car could be driven onto the van on ramps and then backed onto elevated ramps to allow underside repairs and adjustments.

In the event of a complete breakdown during the race, a car could be loaded into the van for transport back to England from wherever the team was racing or rallying, as it did at Le Mans in 1955. Loaded with tools, spares, etc., the van had a top speed of 40 mph. It was driven by a 4.3L six-cylinder diesel engine producing 100 hp and had a top-speed of 40 mph. It’s non-synchro 4-speed transmission, drum brakes and no power steering made the fully loaded truck a real bear to drive over the Alps! The transporter was used by the BMC Competition Department until about 1960, when it was replaced by a more modern transporter.

This is my friend Bill's completed transporter. We first discussed this project a few years ago, but the decals had always been a sticking point. I will attempt to update this thread as I go along. Unlike Bill's transporter, I want to make opening side doors. Bill has had the opportunity to examine the reconstructed van a couple of times and has many detailed pictures of both the interior and exterior which will be a great help during the build. Stay tuned...
Jerry

Tom

Post by Tom »

That is amazing! Superb project, looking forward to the result. However, instead of resin casting why not try 3D printing?

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

Wow!
Jeff

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

JSB33 wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:52 am
Wow!
I am hoping you will say the same when done Jeff! :D
Tom wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:45 pm
That is amazing! Superb project, looking forward to the result. However, instead of resin casting why not try 3D printing?
Thanks Tom! I have reached the conclusion that I am very analog in a digital world. I have looked at 3D printing and understand how it works, just can get my brain around how to make it work. I don't know that I would use it enough to justify the investment, or the learning curve. For small pieces, I think I am going to stick with resin and photoetch.
Jerry

Jager

Post by Jager »

Looks to be an interesting project Jerry. With all the hard work already done on the decals, its a pity there isn't a correctly scaled donor vehicle to use.

105epaul

Post by 105epaul »

Super conversion by your friend, wish I had such a skill set :( . By coincidence I bought that Dinky horse box truck a few days ago, I already had one but the new one is somewhat nicer. I also have it in its other livery of grey/yellow. If I remember correctly the vehicle was based on a chassis by Maudsley who were manufacturers of commercial vehicles.

Tom

Post by Tom »

One of those incredibly cheap PW trucks would probably be a great donor for wheels, mirrors and other small bits.

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

Great idea.

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 »

Another one here who had the British Railways liveried Dinky Horsebox as a Christmas present one year in the mid 1950s.

As a seven year old I got into big trouble with my parents by going 'freelance' and asking the local toy shop owner if he would source some correct scale horses that would fit the Dinky model. A reasonable request as far as I was concerned.

He obviously asked my dad later how I would be finding the money for said cargo 'order'... The 'telling off' from dad still rings in my ears now.

Needless to say the grey and yellow job never figured for me!

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

I've been making some progress on the BMC transporter. Its been taken apart and I have cut out bulkheads and cut out and ground down some of the inner supports to make way for the interior. Its been slow progress as I work in stages at grinding out the large amount of metal they put in these toys. Its a tight space, do I have to use my Dremel to work at it. There's a lot more cutting and grinding to do on the exterior, so I'm taking my time on this project. :D

GBOAC002 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:39 am
Another one here who had the British Railways liveried Dinky Horsebox as a Christmas present one year in the mid 1950s.

As a seven year old I got into big trouble with my parents by going 'freelance' and asking the local toy shop owner if he would source some correct scale horses that would fit the Dinky model. A reasonable request as far as I was concerned.

He obviously asked my dad later how I would be finding the money for said cargo 'order'... The 'telling off' from dad still rings in my ears now.

Needless to say the grey and yellow job never figured for me!
That's a great story! :D I never understood why Dinky never made scale horses to go with this. Maybe you were supposed to use Britain's?
Alex_W wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:15 pm
Great idea.
High praise from the master of great ideas when it comes to conversions! :lol:
Tom wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:35 am
One of those incredibly cheap PW trucks would probably be a great donor for wheels, mirrors and other small bits.
Yes, Tom, done and done. I have several potential donors in the project box. Horns are coming from a Lionel train. :D
105epaul wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:07 am
Super conversion by your friend, wish I had such a skill set :( . By coincidence I bought that Dinky horse box truck a few days ago, I already had one but the new one is somewhat nicer. I also have it in its other livery of grey/yellow. If I remember correctly the vehicle was based on a chassis by Maudsley who were manufacturers of commercial vehicles.
Yes, he did a great job! I bought a couple of well played with horse box trucks several years ago. I am using the better one of the two. This one happens to be the rarer N. American market version, but figured since it was far from pristine it made little difference. I have seen but never owned the grey/yellow version which was later than the maroon versions (plastic wheels?) I think the truck is based on an ERF?
Jager wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:05 am
Looks to be an interesting project Jerry. With all the hard work already done on the decals, its a pity there isn't a correctly scaled donor vehicle to use.
Given the size of the 1/1 truck, the Dinky isn't too far off. I thought about using a PW box van that I have, but the model would be too large then for 1/43 of the original. I thought about trying to make a smaller van larger, but too much work with uncertain results. I have a second set of decals if something better does ever come along. :D
Jerry