Old Irish Trucking

JSB33
Site Admin

Re: Old Irish Trucking

Post by JSB33 »

Looks the part already and its not even dress rehearsal.
Jeff

GarageOnAWall

Post by GarageOnAWall »

Interior detailing is over the top sensational in the best of ways Jerry :shock: Thanks for taking us on this journey of inspiration 8-)
You Can LIVE in a Car, But You Can't DRIVE a House

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Just another transporter :D I can cross another one off my want list that's been there a long time. I bought this from a seller in Australia who gave me a discount that weakened my will and made me say yes. ;) A fairly rare hand built bird, unlike the Exoto Maranello Concessionaires transporter (which I also have), this is the correct Ford truck.

Ford Thames Trader - Maranello Concessionaires - ABC Brianza

Maranello Concessionaires became the distributor for Ferrari in the UK in 1960 and has continued to do so to this day, although now operating as Ferrari UK. The Tower Garage which was headquarters to the business for many years still operates as Maranello Spares. Col. Ronnie Hoare approached Ferrari after the death of his friend and contemporary Mike Hawthorn, who Ferrari had given the Ferrari distribution rights. Ferrari agreed after Hoare promised to sell four cars in the first year, which was as many cars as Ferrari had sold in the UK in ten years! He ended up selling many more than that! Hoare was keen on endurance racing and from 1960-1967, his Ferrari’s always had distinctive blue stripes and noses, driven by some of the best talent of the day; his cars occupied the grids of every major European and British race of note including Le Mans.

Maranello Concessionaires acquired this 5-ton Ford Thames Trader in 1963 to serve as the race team transporter. It was built by Brooke Motor Bodies and had a 6-cylinder diesel engine, with a two-speed rear axle, which allowed higher speed running. The transporter carried one car and a crew of three and race spares. It carried a 68-gallon petrol tank to ensure fuel for the race car was available at every track. Loading the cars was done with 15’ alloy and fiberglass ramps and an electric winch if needed. Ford built the Thames Trader from 1957-1965 and was the first heavy commercial truck designed by Ford of Britain.

My only criticism of the model, is that the real transporter was a Thames Trader MkII and the model is a Mk1. The only external difference is the grille and Thames Trader badging just above it. I want to do some interior detailing of the transporter, but it will require long tweezers, good manual dexterity and a great deal of patience. Maranello Concessionaires also ran a Bedford Type-S transporter which they had prior to acquiring the Thames Trader. I'm not certain how long they used it after, but I do have a photo with both transporters in it. A future project perhaps. :D
Jerry
Old Irish Racing Collection
https://www.oldirish.com/collection/models2.html

Tom

Post by Tom »

That is great! As you say, pity about the wrong grill but otherwise it's superb so I can easily forgive that detail.

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic »

That is a real treat Jerry, although I need to contact our Customs Office to see why they let it leave the country :lol: :lol:

Like Tom, I could live with the small inaccuracies.
Martin

Jager

Post by Jager »

Congratulations Jerry, I think you scored yourself a real rarity. Being from Australia, I’m sure you won’t be surprised to know I was following that auction as well. I was just waiting for the auction to finish unsold, hoping the seller would then put a more realistic price on it ;) .
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

Tom wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:01 pm
That is great! As you say, pity about the wrong grill but otherwise it's superb so I can easily forgive that detail.
All of this.
Jeff

andor88

Post by andor88 »

Without any intention of ruining your joy, you boys noticed it has a small part missing? The back opening should've had a small section of the roll-up door. Maybe Jerry can improvise a moving mechanism, to turn it into a functional open/close aperture? In any case congrats, I have one of these in my collection and I'm really satisfied. Need to look into some more light blue striped Ferraris.

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

andor88 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:37 am
Without any intention of ruining your joy, you boys noticed it has a small part missing? The back opening should've had a small section of the roll-up door. Maybe Jerry can improvise a moving mechanism, to turn it into a functional open/close aperture? In any case congrats, I have one of these in my collection and I'm really satisfied. Need to look into some more light blue striped Ferraris.
Thanks, no joy ruined, it was a good deal, even if missing a piece of the back door. :D I wasn't aware there was a vestige of door on this model. All the web photos I have seen do not show one. I have looked at the model and don't see where there was an evidence of a piece being attached. I think one could install a sliding door, but the shelving in the back would have to be modified, which would be hard without taking the model apart. I have written to ABC to see if this part is available. If not, I am sure it would not take much to make one. Could you post an image of the back of your transporter here or send to me in PM? That would help a great deal if I need to fabricate the part. Thanks! :D
Jager wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:20 am
Congratulations Jerry, I think you scored yourself a real rarity. Being from Australia, I’m sure you won’t be surprised to know I was following that auction as well. I was just waiting for the auction to finish unsold, hoping the seller would then put a more realistic price on it ;) .
Thanks! I was "watching" too Ian and the seller sent me an offer for $150 AU less than his buy now price. Shipping was reasonable (and fast!), couldn't pass it up! :D
Alfaholic wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:52 pm
That is a real treat Jerry, although I need to contact our Customs Office to see why they let it leave the country :lol: :lol:

Like Tom, I could live with the small inaccuracies.
Thanks Martin! I figured with the models you and Ian are importing, something needed to leave to keep the continent afloat and on balance. :D
Tom wrote:
Thanks Tom! Yeah, I didn't know till I started my research on the Thames Trader. The fog lamps were added later, the photo of the 1/1 transporter I posted and most are familiar with is from the day they took delivery.
JSB33 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:33 am
Tom wrote:
All of this.
Thanks Jeff! :D
Jerry

andor88

Post by andor88 »

Here you go Jerry, hope it helps:

Judging by the glue traces left by the previous owner that part is clearly prone to fall off. And I couldn't fit anything else in it than a Dino 206 SP, but not a correct Maranello Concessionaires one. However they are releasing the italian Ferrari GT collection in my country, at number 36 should come a Dino with light blue stripe, my further photo shooting should wait until that.

You can also see a photo on carmodel with the back.

P.S. I'm more upset for ABC missing out the front side indicators, than for the Mk I - Mk II grille issue.

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Thanks for that, it does help! :D. I put a Ferrari P2 in my, didn't try a GTO or 250LM. It was a small transporter. I am going to use/fabricate some small flat fog lamps I have in my parts box as turn indicators. Just need to get some lenses. Thanks again!
Jerry