1/43 Trucks

JSB33
Site Admin

Re: 1/43 Trucks

Post by JSB33 »

Tom wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:44 pm
That looks great, but quite old-fashioned for the 1980s. Torpedo-nose tractor units were never a big thing here because of the maximum length of the tractor-trailer combi, a longer tractor limited trailer size. Tipper trucks were sometimes torpedo-nose vehicles.

Ixo makes some amazing models these days.
You can't hire any drivers in the US if you don't have a "Torpedo-Nose" (we call them conventionals) as the culture here is very anti COE, they feel they are death traps. Drivers will actually avoid companies that use them and its hard enough to find drivers as it is.

IXO sure did this one up!
Jeff

SG143

Post by SG143 »

Tom wrote:
That looks great, but quite old-fashioned for the 1980s. Torpedo-nose tractor units were never a big thing here because of the maximum length of the tractor-trailer combi, a longer tractor limited trailer size. Tipper trucks were sometimes torpedo-nose vehicles.

You hardly ever see a long bonnet truck here in the UK as theyre just too big . Scania used to make a long bonnet T Series cab which was a looker, but it just wasnt that populer here so Scania got rid of it. I have to admit that these Conventional cabs look impressive and personally , they just do it for me , but I dont think id ever choose to drive one for a living over a European Scania or Volvo . Ixo really have done a cracking job on their trucks so far and the future releases look even better .
JSB33 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:07 pm
Tom wrote:

You can't hire any drivers in the US if you don't have a "Torpedo-Nose" (we call them conventionals) as the culture here is very anti COE, they feel they are death traps. Drivers will actually avoid companies that use them and its hard enough to find drivers as it is.

IXO sure did this one up!
I really dont see that point as valid as Ive seen the aftermath of crashes involving conventionals on programs like Highway to Hell on tv. Most of the body panels seem to be made of fibreglass and they just seem to fall apart in an accident. This Peterbilt may be a looker but give me a European Scania, Merc or Volvo any day of the week
:flag_gb: Gary

Porsche............For when you cant say "I`m better than you" in person

SG143

Post by SG143 »

Neo Diamond Reo Tractor unit

Another conventional truck from the US, this Neo model is extremely well finished and much better quality than the Ixo trucks , mind you , at 3x the price of an Ixo , I suppose it should be. A very cool , but basic old hauler.

Diamond Reo Trucks were an American truck manufacturer and in 1967, Diamond T and Reo Trucks were combined to form the Diamond Reo Trucks Division of the White Motor Corporation. Reo dated back to 1904 when Ransom E. Olds, founder of Oldsmobile, began building motor cars, and Diamond T dated back to 1905 when C.A. Tilt began building vehicles. In 1971, Francis L. Cappaert from Alabama, bought Diamond Reo from White and formed an independent company called Diamond Reo Trucks Inc and, at about the same time , the Diamond Reo C-116 series was introduced, which featured Cummins NTC-335, NTC-350, NTA-370 and Detroit Diesel 12V-71N engines. Despite new model introductions and excellent reputation Diamond Reo was forced into bankruptcy on December 6, 1974.

One year later Loyal Osterlund and partner Ray Houseal bought the rights to Diamond Reo trucks and made room to continue production in their Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, facility, originally a dealership and maintenance facility. The single model C-116 Giant was continued in production with the Cummins NTC-290 diesel engine as standard power. Production for 1978 was 131 units. By 1985, the Harrisburg plant was expanded to be able to produce 10 trucks per day, although output continued at about two per day. The company continued to build about 150 Class 8 trucks annually through 1995 all as Diamond Vehicle Solutions LLC.

In the early 2000s Diamond Vehicle Solutions marketed the T-Line series described as “a blend of vintage Diamond T heritage and modern engineering” The T-Line’s series included one long-nose and two medium-nose models with the company manufacturing frames and other parts, and outfits basic cabs it obtains from Navistar; it offers Caterpillar and Cummins diesels, Eaton and Allison transmissions, and Dana and Meritor axles. These trucks were manufactured until 2010 with parts manufacturing lasting until 2013. Diamond Vehicle Solutions is now doing business as T-Line Trucks & Chassis; and in May 2015, T-Line announced that it intended to resume production of Class 6, 7, and 8 trucks and tractors, mostly for vocational use .

Tom

Post by Tom »

That does look fantastic.

Jager

Post by Jager »

That is impressive. Definitely worth the $$$.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

dcast

Post by dcast »

Very nice model, NEO did great job on it.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

They sure did this one up well. I am not old enough to remember the green chassis/running gear though.
Jeff

SG143

Post by SG143 »

Minichamps Mercedes Benz Atego Dropside truck

A few updated pics of one of the first trucks I added to my collection. A superb model by Minichamps.

The Mercedes-Benz Atego was a range of general-purpose rigid trucks introduced by Mercedes-Benz and the first generation Atego debuted in 1998. It was intended as a successor to the LK model range. At the time of its launch, the Atego offered a total of 25 different basic types and 240 model variants and around 170,000 units were produced until 2004. The truck won the International Truck of the Year award in 1999 which would later be supplemented with another win by the Atego 2 in 2011. In 2000, a new 326-hp top-of-the-range version of the heavy Atego chassis was brought onto the market. In 2001, the new Axor model series emerged from the heavy-duty Atego weight class with gross vehicle weights of 18 to 40 tonnes. The Axor combined the heavy chassis of the Actros with the long Atego cab

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

What sort of cargo would be hauled in this, Gary?

I still have the one with the van body that you gave me many moons ago.
Jeff

Tom

Post by Tom »

I recall these coming on the market, I was doing the M-B dealer magazine then. The TOTY award was a big deal that sold lots of Ategos. I like the model a lot too.

SG143

Post by SG143 »

JSB33 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:28 am

It would carry just about anything Jeff , just a general haulage truck really. The box body version I sent you is up next.
Tom wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:44 am
I recall these coming on the market, I was doing the M-B dealer magazine then. The TOTY award was a big deal that sold lots of Ategos. I like the model a lot too.
A pretty common , all purpose truck over here Tom . They were reliable and popular. Minichamps made an excellent job of the models

SG143

Post by SG143 »

Minichamps Mercedes Benz Atego Box truck

Last edited by SG143 on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

SG143 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:16 am
JSB33 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:28 am

It would carry just about anything Jeff , just a general haulage truck really. The box body version I sent you is up next.
I was wondering what they would tie off the load to. That is why I was thinking that maybe it had a specialized cargo or something.

Box version looks really good in your Dio.
Jeff

Tom

Post by Tom »

There's usually some wood or steel rails under the tarp used for tying stuff down. The larger articulated trucks are usually for international transport, these smaller ones move cargo between warehouse and store. Easier to manoeuvre in the inner city.