Cast iron toy buses from USA, close to 1:43

David H

Cast iron toy buses from USA, close to 1:43

Post by David H »

IMG_6994.JPG
IMG_6991.JPG
Here's a couple from my old toys collection that I thought might interest some. They are made of cast iron and are quite heavy. I've taken pictures with a Mikansue Jaguar and a couple of my figures to show 1:43 scale. I enjoy these old toys. David H
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tom

Re: Cast iron toy buses from USA, close to 1:43

Post by Tom »

They are very charming indeed. I've never heard of Arcade, I don't think they made it to Europe.

David H

Arcade cast iron toys

Post by David H »

In 1885 an older firm took the name ARCADE to make industrial castings and household items, located in Freeport, Illinois. After a large fire and management changes, toys appeared, notably small banks, stoves, and even a unique pile-driver. But only in 1919 did the big change take place: an agreement between Arcade and the Yellow Cab Company to make toy replicas of the cab. Soon after Arcade repeated this type of agreement with Buick, Chevrolet, Ford, and other car companies, and then furthered this with International Harvester farm equipment and trucks and buses. Business boomed the in dimestores and catalogs throughout the 1920's. The Great Depression of the 1930's brought smaller (and cheaper) toys in order for Arcade to survive, emphasizing the ten cents and lower priced toys. By the late 30's Arcade toys of many types were being produced in ever larger numbers. World War II changed that into the construction of military products. Death and retirements in the 1940's resulted in the sale of the company assets and it died as a separate entity in the late 1940's. Arcade made toys to be played with and very few have survived in mint condition. I have several of varied sizes, mostly from the 1920's and 30's.
IMG_7000.JPG
IMG_7001.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Thanks for the history lesson. I like those cherished old toys, lots of history.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

I seem to remember a toy bus kicking around when I was a kid. My Grandparents had a toy box in their dining room for all the grand kids (7 of us) and there were some very old items in t. I think the bus had white tires. hard to remember as it was 50 years ago.
Jeff

David H

Three more cast iron toy buses from USA, close to 1:43

Post by David H »

IMG_7030.JPG
IMG_7032.JPG
IMG_7034.JPG
These three are all cast iron in "played with" condition. Each is between 4 and 5 inches in length. Weight varies from 6 to 8 ounces.

David H

Slush buses from the USA, 1930's, dime store variety

Post by David H »

In the 1920's and 30's, the bus went where the streetcar couldn't, especially into the small towns outside the cities. In one of those small towns in Kansas, auto mechanic Arthur Haynes made small toys for local stores. He taught himself to cast slush metal, built his own molds, hired his family and neighbors, and made toys for dime stores. He made miniature metal cars, trucks, aircraft, farm equipment, and more. And then he discovered for himself hollow-casting techniques. He always felt he was the first to do so. He didn't mark many of his molds, and at times he sold them to other producers. His company was Kansas Toy and Novelty Company, starting in 1923.

Here are two of his buses, one original and one that I repainted to show its detailing. Hint: Any picture may be enlarged by clicking on it.
IMG_7094.JPG
IMG_7100.JPG
Enjoy! David H
Last edited by David H on Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Happy New Year, David - and all of you gents posting here :P Impressive collection of old toy buses, indeed! I'm quite romantic and always think of the children who had played with those "toys". I guess in the 1920' to the 1940's (and even later), those cars were quite precious toys. A time, when children were not yet "busted" with toys as they are nowadays very often. I admit, I'm always tempted to paint those old toy cars newly, to have their original look resurrected, but of course I know that the heavy-played condition is part of their charms :) . Congratulations to your treasure, enjoy playing with them ;)

Tom

Post by Tom »

Those are excellent, I love the playworn look.

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

While not a cast iron collector, I do appreciate the variety and durability of cast iron toys. I have probably seen some of these buses at swap meets, but not knowing more about them, or having a specific interest, passed them by. Thanks for showing and educating about these great toys!