1:43 Scale Excavator

RichArcher

1:43 Scale Excavator

Post by RichArcher »

Haven't visited this forum for a while but I just acquired this little gem. Wondered whether to put it on the New Acquisition board or here but I thought if by any chance someone's looking for such a thing they'd look here.
Excavator 1 (680x447).jpg
Excavators and other construction equipment at our scale are hard to come by, but I've found there are a few about on the Internet. Here's my recent buy next to a 1:43 scale man and Mini to show size.

I am always suspicious as to whether such things like construction equipment are actually 1:43 scale when buying off the Internet but if I can see the scale on the box, and if they include photos alongside a ruler or tape measure it is then possible to make a judgement. This is where I got this one:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133500622717

A very nice model, I hope to some day make it actually work. The parts are movable, it spins round and the tracks turn.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JSB33
Site Admin

Re: 1:43 Scale Excavator

Post by JSB33 »

You are correct about 1:43 being a tough scale for this kind of thing. This one sure looks to be right in the ballpark.
Jeff

Jager

Post by Jager »

Looks a good price too (and free postage !) for something that large and well detailed. Wonder how many purchases your post will inspire :D .
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped »

It's true that 1:43 scale construction equipment seems relatively rare. Same with 1:43 airplanes. I would think that construction equipment in O-scale would be somewhat easier to find, although it's a slightly smaller size. It seems likely equipment like that would be produced for model railroad dioramas. Might be worth checking out if you're not too particular about exact scale.

RT

Jager

Post by Jager »

What I'd really like is a 1:43 scale Manitou as used as recovery vehicles at Le Mans:

I've seen them in 1:35 and 1:50, but not 1:43. I think there would be some cool diorama possibilities if someone made a working one in our scale.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

RichArcher

Post by RichArcher »

Well actually Featherless, I am an O gauger, I posted this last December:- https://scale143.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=13259 If you're interested check out some of the links. They are usually white metal kits and they will normally be older construction equipment from the times of steam railways, which is great stuff, I have some kits waiting to be built (usual fate of many kits I think is that many remain in the box).

True O gauge is actually 1:43.5 scale but if anyone can spot that 0.5 I reckon they deserve a medal :)

Yes, airplanes also difficult at 1:43 but I do have two helicopters at 1:43 and a Cessna at 1:42 scale. Where the hell the makers get some of these obscure scales from I have no idea. A Lear Jet (I think) at 1:43 exists at a price over £100.

dcast

Post by dcast »

Very cool excavator :) Have wondered myself why most construction equipment models must be in their own scale, 1/50 or something, why not making them in standard 1/43 size. Lately there's been more and more trucks in 1/43 scale, so maybe construction equipment follow this trend soon.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Truck scale is 1:50, so I guess they match. Good to see one made in 1:43, nice model too.

RichArcher

Post by RichArcher »

Yes Jager, a Manitou at 1:43 would be nice for a race track scene. I did search but did not find one. I said that I thought there was a Learjet at 1:43, I was wrong, it was a Cessna belonging to the Lotus team, so how about this to fit in with your race scene, along with some appropriate helicopters aswell?:- https://www.sparkmodel.com/en/categories/21

On quick inspection I can't find a price but I've seen the Cessna elsewhere at about £138 (but out of stock).

Edit:- On my laptop it takes a while for the actual Aircraft page to open so if you're connection is not too hot be patient and eventually you'll see aircraft