The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Post Reply
Alfaholic
Posts: 7503
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:20 am
Location: Braidwood, Australia

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Post by Alfaholic »

That's a great model, bumpers or no bumpers!
Martin

Jager
Posts: 14254
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:29 am
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Post by Jager »

That looks so much more 'purposeful' without the bumpers.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Tom
Posts: 25866
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:29 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Post by Tom »

Fab model.

reeft1
Posts: 5060
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:50 pm

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Post by reeft1 »

51 Lancia Aurelia B20 Ser 1 Bracco Mille Miglia Partswork 2nd overall, 1st in class
Image
52 Lancia Auerlia B20 Ser 2 Super Charged Maglioli Carerra Panamericana Spark S2442 4th overall
Image
54 Jaguar C Type Ibarra Carerra Panamericana Brumm R547 DNF
Image
71 Porsche 908/3 Rear Fins Elford Targa Florio Best 9334 39th overall, 3rd in class
Image
Last edited by reeft1 on Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alfaholic
Posts: 7503
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:20 am
Location: Braidwood, Australia

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Post by Alfaholic »

To quote some dodgy movie - you had me at Aurelia... :lol: :lol:
Martin

reeft1
Posts: 5060
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:50 pm

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Post by reeft1 »

Alfaholic wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:35 am
To quote some dodgy movie - you had me at Aurelia... :lol: :lol:
Figured i might have lol!

Tom
Posts: 25866
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:29 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Post by Tom »

All those are ace, with only lack of funds and space preventing me from starting a collection of Carrera Panamericana models...

JSB33
Site Admin
Posts: 43281
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:25 am
Location: Bedford
Contact:

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Post by JSB33 »

Much like Tom, I would love to be able to start a TF wing of my collection. I actually think I would rather collect cars from that race than LM.
Jeff
Image

Featherless_Biped
Posts: 3433
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Post by Featherless_Biped »

Carrera Panamericana models are so tempting. I don't have even one, but one is on its way here. :)
I would rather collect cars from that race than from LM.

RT

Jager
Posts: 14254
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:29 am
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Post by Jager »

The Best 908's are really nicely done and you can't go wrong if you get one with a Martini livery.
JSB33 wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:30 am
Much like Tom, I would love to be able to start a TF wing of my collection. I actually think I would rather collect cars from that race than LM.
There's no doubt there were some cool cars at the Targa Florio, but for the most part many of the Le Mans cars competed at the Targa Florio as well. In addition, the race lost its international ststus in 1973 and ceased in 1977, so your collection wouldn't have any of the cars from the last 50 years.
Featherless_Biped wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:42 am
Carrera Panamericana models are so tempting. I don't have even one, but one is on its way here. :)
I would rather collect cars from that race than from LM.

RT
The Carrera Panamericana is even more limited than the Targa Florio, being run only for five consecutive years from 1950 to 1954. Again, many of the Carrera Panamericana cars also raced at Le Mans (ie both the Jaguar and Lancia above are also Le Mans cars), but personally I'd want to collect cars from a wider period of history than just 5 years in the 50's.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

JSB33
Site Admin
Posts: 43281
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:25 am
Location: Bedford
Contact:

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Post by JSB33 »

Jager wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:01 am
JSB33 wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:30 am
Much like Tom, I would love to be able to start a TF wing of my collection. I actually think I would rather collect cars from that race than LM.
There's no doubt there were some cool cars at the Targa Florio, but for the most part many of the Le Mans cars competed at the Targa Florio as well. In addition, the race lost its international ststus in 1973 and ceased in 1977, so your collection wouldn't have any of the cars from the last 50 years.

Works for me.
Jeff
Image

reeft1
Posts: 5060
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:50 pm

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Post by reeft1 »

JSB33 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:05 am
Jager wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:01 am
JSB33 wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:30 am
Much like Tom, I would love to be able to start a TF wing of my collection. I actually think I would rather collect cars from that race than LM.
There's no doubt there were some cool cars at the Targa Florio, but for the most part many of the Le Mans cars competed at the Targa Florio as well. In addition, the race lost its international ststus in 1973 and ceased in 1977, so your collection wouldn't have any of the cars from the last 50 years.

Works for me.
x 2 - having an upper limit on a collection or even a narrow window stops (to a small degree) things getting completely out of hand like it has with my WRC collection.....

These next 2 will undoubtedly cause some forum members to opine negatively as these are scratch builds by which i mean that the "buck" from which these were cast will have been carved from wood or similar and as such they cannot be compared to the superb detail that is available on items such as Spark models. Nevertheless, i love them for their quirkiness and uniqueness.

1953 Carerra Panamericana - Fano Bush Glasspar Mercury - OTL
Image
1953 Carerra Panamericana - Adolf Brudes Borgward Hansa 1500 RS - DNF
Image

JSB33
Site Admin
Posts: 43281
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:25 am
Location: Bedford
Contact:

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Post by JSB33 »

Very nice, especially the Glasspar.

I also have a carved wooden model that I cherish.
Image
Jeff
Image

Alfaholic
Posts: 7503
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:20 am
Location: Braidwood, Australia

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Post by Alfaholic »

As you say, quirky and unique, and all the better for that. The Mercury’s lines are the more cohesive to me.
Martin

Jager
Posts: 14254
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:29 am
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Post by Jager »

The Mercury is quite impressive give the manufacturing method.

You probably have to be German to really appreciate the Borgward Hansa :D .
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

oldirish33
Posts: 2152
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:08 pm
Location: Oregon (Left Coast), USA
Contact:

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Post by oldirish33 »

reeft1 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:29 am

These next 2 will undoubtedly cause some forum members to opine negatively as these are scratch builds by which i mean that the "buck" from which these were cast will have been carved from wood or similar and as such they cannot be compared to the superb detail that is available on items such as Spark models. Nevertheless, i love them for their quirkiness and uniqueness.
Ah, I see you have discovered Stripped Pine. I have a couple pieces of Brian's work in my collection. I enjoy his work, the hand made look and feel and he chooses subjects that are not usually modeled. Here is an example, a Nash-Healey spider on the 1953 Mille Miglia. Dont bid on the Jaguar he currently has up for auction! :D

Image
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com
Image

reeft1
Posts: 5060
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:50 pm

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Post by reeft1 »

oldirish33 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:18 pm
reeft1 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:29 am

These next 2 will undoubtedly cause some forum members to opine negatively as these are scratch builds by which i mean that the "buck" from which these were cast will have been carved from wood or similar and as such they cannot be compared to the superb detail that is available on items such as Spark models. Nevertheless, i love them for their quirkiness and uniqueness.
Ah, I see you have discovered Stripped Pine. I have a couple pieces of Brian's work in my collection. I enjoy his work, the hand made look and feel and he chooses subjects that are not usually modeled. Here is an example, a Nash-Healey spider on the 1953 Mille Miglia. Dont bid on the Jaguar he currently has up for auction! :D

Image
It's already in my watch list lol

oldirish33
Posts: 2152
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:08 pm
Location: Oregon (Left Coast), USA
Contact:

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Post by oldirish33 »

reeft1 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:26 pm
[It's already in my watch list lol
I won't bid then. :D
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com
Image

reeft1
Posts: 5060
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:50 pm

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Post by reeft1 »

50 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 Freccia D'oro Bonetto Carerra Panamericana Jolly Model JL090 8th overall
Image

JSB33
Site Admin
Posts: 43281
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:25 am
Location: Bedford
Contact:

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Post by JSB33 »

It that made from wood?
Jeff
Image

reeft1
Posts: 5060
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:50 pm

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Post by reeft1 »

JSB33 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:04 am
It that made from wood?

Not this one - resin.

GBOAC002
Posts: 8720
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:33 pm
Location: Surrey, UK.

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Post by GBOAC002 »

That's one helluva forward blind spot!

reeft1
Posts: 5060
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:50 pm

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Post by reeft1 »

I’ve been thinking i might rework the front windscreen for exactly that reason.

reeft1
Posts: 5060
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:50 pm

Re: The "I blame Sir Stirling" Collection

Post by reeft1 »

Jaguar XK120 Special - Bush - 1954 Carerra Panamericana - DNF - Code 3 scratch build
Image

Post Reply