Mr. Biped's Cars with Numbers

Alfaholic

Re: Mr. Biped's Cars with Numbers

Post by Alfaholic »

Now we're back on track, much prettier than the Aston :lol:

I cannot begin to imagine what it was like to drive this car (or even be a passenger). I have read a little bit about Mr DePalma and wouldn't mind having one of his cars in my collection.

Fantastic addition Mr Mille ;)
Martin

Jager

Post by Jager »

Despite the labelling issues on tghe box, Brumm did some really nice early race cars that have so far been ignored by all other model manufacturers. I wonder if Spark or someone else will model these in the future.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped »

Tom wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:19 am
Imagining taking four spare tyres for your modern F1 car and changing a flat somewhere on the track... a nice reminder of different times and a pretty good model too. I would love to see a 'post race' version.
Flats must have been quite a problem then. I can't remember the last time I had one, and of course, new cars aren't even equipped with spares now. A 'post race' version would be welcome for this and many others. (I wonder how many spares would be on the car after the race.)
oldirish33 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:18 pm
Those were magnificent machines driven by real men and brave riding mechanics.
Alfaholic wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:29 pm
I cannot begin to imagine what it was like to drive this car (or even be a passenger).
The drivers often got all the credit, but the mechanic on board had the hardest and most dangerous job, I think. Check out Henry Ford's mechanic working on the engine en route...

Jager wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:35 am
Brumm did some really nice early race cars that have so far been ignored by all other model manufacturers. I wonder if Spark or someone else will model these in the future.
I would welcome efforts by Spark or several other manufacturers, but I think the interest in these antique cars is pretty thin. Nevertheless, I am considering beginning a new thread for these early models. The history of design development in the 19th Century is pretty interesting.
Alfaholic wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:29 pm
Fantastic addition Mr Mille ;)
Un uh. :mrgreen: So now you must take my first born. :lol:

Now I don't know much about Richard Petty, but here you see "The King" with his iconic #43 as well as his iconic hat, sunglasses, belt buckle, and mustache.

I also don't know much about NASCAR, but if I collect only one or two NASCAR models, the #43 Superbird is one to have.

1970 Plymouth Superbird. Racing Champions.

RT

Tom

Post by Tom »

I agree completely. That is one OTT racer.

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Probably my all time favorite NASCAR racer, good looking model!
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

Coolness.
Jeff

Featherless_Biped

Post by Featherless_Biped »

Thanks for interest, guys. Your appreciation for this car/model is greater than mine. :o

There seems to be some confusion about this next model. Brumm says it competed in the 1938 Tripoli G.P. But the #44 in that race was a Mercedes. :? The winner was Achille Varzi in #10, a 8CTF Maserati. There was another 8CTF driven by Carlo Felice Trossi, which was #28.

The 8CTF was Maserati’s challenge to the all-conquering dominance of Germany on the Grand Prix scene of the thirties. The unpretentious 8CTF was a very fast car in 1938. This was demonstrated in its first outing, at Tripoli, when Count Felice Trossi put up a 131.2 mph lap in the display car and took the lead on Lap 9 only to retire soon after with transmission problems.

Maserati 8CTF. 1938. Brumm.

RT

Tom

Post by Tom »

That looks MUCH better than the average Brumm! I have a soft spot for pre-war GP cars and I had a Matchbox Maserati 4CLT as a kid that I loved. It might have a dubious claimed history but if I found one I might not be able to resist...

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

I think you need testicles the size of space hoppers to drive one of those. Left arm may get a tad warm as well. Looks very good.

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic »

Not the first time model numbers don’t match the event - a nightmare for older cars like this one. Still the Maserati is a real treat.
Martin

Jager

Post by Jager »

Alfaholic wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:08 pm
Not the first time model numbers don’t match the event - a nightmare for older cars like this one. Still the Maserati is a real treat.
Brumm can turn out some nice cars when they want to, but in the internet age sloppy research is no longer acceptable.

The closest match I could find was a #44 Maserati 4CLT/48 entered in the 1951 Spanish Grand Prix.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/362680576219896757/
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen