Le 24 Heures du Mans 2020 - new dates

News, Rumors and Gossip
jna

Le 24 Heures du Mans 2020 - new dates

Post by jna » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:21 pm

If this has already been mentioned, my apologies. I promise I did look through the threads. Anyway it will now (hopefully) take place during the weekend of September 19th and 20th.

The last time the race was postponed from its usual June date and run in September was back in 1968. At least then you could see your 'enemy'.

Jager

Re: Le 24 Heures du Mans 2020 - new dates

Post by Jager » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:09 pm

Thanks John

I've seen a few comments from various team owners and managers that the rescheduling of races could prove a logistical nightmare for teams that run multiple cars in multiple championships and find numerous events all rescheduled around the same time. There is also a lot of financial pressure on teams, who will have to keep 30 - 150 people employed for six months wile their not racing and not generating any sponsorship dollars - not to mention that sponsorship dollars will become harder to find over the next six months.

I wonder if we'll see teams pulling out. Rebellion had already signalled that Le Mans would be their last race before winding up the team. I wonder if they'll bother to hang around, or just wind up operations early ? Who else might drop off the entry list?
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

jna

Post by jna » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:16 am

Hello Ian,

I noticed the announcement on our BBC News website. The article also said that ‘the postponement will also mean changes to several other motorsport events this year - including the European Le Mans Series, the Michelin Le Mans Cup and the Ligier European Series.’

With businesses suffering serious cash flow issues, exit clauses in sponsorship contracts are surely being read very carefully. I fail to see how any motor racing of note will take place this season. As you mention, will a team like Rebellion, which has already announced it is winding up, wait to see it through to September. Their withdrawal would thus leave only four LMP1 cars.

As usual it all comes down to money, and there are vast amounts at stake but isn’t the sensible thing to postpone this year’s event rather than putting together something that will be watered down?

Late September in the Loire Valley can enjoy excellent weather and there would be several more hours of night driving. That’s a plus however don’t you think?

Jager

Post by Jager » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:57 am

I don't think you can necessarily count on perfect weather in France in September. According to a report I read, it rained on these dates last year.

Here's also what Wiki says about the September race held in 1968:

"Race-day was showery and most of the cars started on wet tyres with a heavy shower just ten minutes before the start...
The rain returned about 2.30am, got heavier and stayed for the rest of the night...
Dawn at 6.30am was gloomy and very wet, however the rain did eventually cease."

This of course assumes it still goes ahead in September.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:08 am

Rain and more darkness at least adds to the excitement.