Old Irish Trucking

oldirish33

Re: Old Irish Trucking

Post by oldirish33 »

One of the projects I have been working on lately, is a Jaguar Castrol transporter from the IMSA days in the late 80's. I have finished the mock-up (mostly) and now need to find either larger (legal size) decal paper, or a smaller trailer in which to make the finished product. I want to replicate one of the photos below, so will also need to build one of my PM unbuilt kits of the XJR-9 to make the #66 car, depending on which one I choose. Stay tuned.

One of the trickier bits, was reversing the image of the race car, which you can just see in the image below. This required making an image without sponsor logos and then layering them on the reverse image to get the finished result. All part of the fun! :D

Tom

Post by Tom »

Great project, will bring another unique piece for your collection.

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

Good stuff.

Jager

Post by Jager »

Nice work Jerry. Looking forward to seeing the finished product once you find the right decal sheet.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

David MG

Post by David MG »

For display purposes I would have been happy with the “mock up” but you have obviously got the same bug as JB!
Cheers,
David

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

David MG wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:09 am
For display purposes I would have been happy with the “mock up” but you have obviously got the same bug as JB!
Exactly!
Jeff

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Saviem JM240 -Altaya/IXO: Seeing someone else's conversion of this truck to a Firestone track support vehicle on the forum recently made me want to do one for myself. ;) The Saviem makes a good base vehicle and being in the Firestone colors already, only needed the center of the box sanded down of existing graphics and repainted white.

The Saviem JM240 was produced from 1964-1975 in collaboration with MAN of Germany. Man designed what has become known as the "Europe" cab (Type 860) and the truck was powered by a MAN10.7L turbo-charged straight-six engine, which produced 170bhp. The truck could haul a maximum load of 32 tonnes (35.3 tons) and came in a variety of configurations with chassis for van bodies, or as a tractor unit. Perhaps not very speedy, but enough torque and horsepower to haul a big load of race tires from circuit to circuit.

I have been wanting a companion for this Spark Ford van I have had for a long time.

Over the winter, I plan to do a paddock scene like this from Le Mans 1970. Note the Firestone trucks in the background. I need to do another one and I think I can cut the side of at least one to replicate the trucks here. It may have to wait though until international shipping gets better. It took a long time for this one to get here from France.

Tom

Post by Tom »

That looks great!

I wish there'd be more classic caravans in 1:43 for those dioramas...

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Tom wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:49 pm
That looks great!

I wish there'd be more classic caravans in 1:43 for those dioramas...
Thanks! There are some caravans, but not many and are getting harder to find.

IFHP

Post by IFHP »

Great stuff!
Collector of 1:43 Scale Fords

ImageAmerican in Paris, 1958 by Michael, on Flickr

Jager

Post by Jager »

Here's another Firestone set up at Le Mans Jerry (with the Goodyear team behind them). I believe this might be 1966.

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Circle the wagons! 😆

Jager

Post by Jager »

oldirish33 wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:53 pm
Circle the wagons! 😆
Funny isn't it. There are 11 or 12 caravans and bearly a race car in sight. It looks more like the 'Caravan and Camping Show' than Le Mans.

Back to business and from the Le Mans movie in 1970:

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

N.A.R.T. Transporter: I am sure the North American Racing Team, or N.A.R.T. needs no introduction. The team operated from 1957 to 1983 by Luigi Chinetti and later his son Luigi Jr. raced some very memorable cars with world class drivers; and took home important victories, like Le Mans in 1965. Capitalizing on his close relationship with Ferrari, Chinetti often had factory support, utilizing some of the latest machinery from Maranello and at times, was the de facto works entry. N.A.R.T. has long been a favorite of mine and naturally, I wanted a team transporter to show case with my N.A.R.T. models. Except there wasn't one.

N.A.R.T. used commercial haulers to transport their cars from their base in New York City to the races in N. America, or to the airport or docks, to send them to Europe. On the continent, they were transported by commercial haulers and/or the Ferrari team on their transporters. The photo above shows such a car carrier used to transport the team to Sebring, but it also shows a semi-tractor and trailer. As shown in the photo below, the team did use on this (and possibly on other) occasion to haul spares, wheels, tools, etc.. There is a Ferrari sign on the trailer, but no other N.A.R.T. signage, so ownership is not clear. In his book on N.A.R.T. history, Terry O'Neill doesn't spend much time discussing team logistics, but to mention that private carriers were used. The reason stated was no room for a transporter at their NY shop and that the team was always 'low budget'.

That made my choice to make a transporter for N.A.R.T. more fantasy than reality. I had a Fiat 619 N1 tractor and a spare trailer that comes close to the vintage of the trailer in the pictures above. I made decals for the trailer which emulate the style of private transporters from the 60's and early 70's in a couple books I have on North American racing. The end result is this:

The Fiat tractor is the right vintage for N.A.R.T. racing exploits in the 70's up until it ceased racing in the early 80's. Built from 1964 to 1980, the 619 series of heavy trucks from Fiat were popular due to their robustness and reliability, with 13,000 units being built over sixteen year period. The second generation of the 619 was launched in 1970 and featured the Fiat "H" cabin which would be used until 1994. The spacious cab had room for two berths behind the driver and passenger seat and was perfect for a crew making a trans-continental haul. Powered by a big 13.8L in-line six-cylinder diesel engine, the 619 had plenty of torque. The engine produced 260 bhp and gave the truck a hauling capacity of over 24 tons at a top speed of 50 mph. Not the best rig for U.S. highways and freeways, but its what I had. :D

Another Ferrari transporter on the shelf, even if it is mostly blue sky. ;)

Tom

Post by Tom »

Cool, great job! Will you substitute the tractor later? Ixo has some nice replacements that might suit your rig.

Jager

Post by Jager »

Nice work Jerry.

You probably know this already, but you can get plastic sheets of ribbed roofing from hobby shops that would replicate the sides of the actual NART transporter if you wanted to have a crack at it.

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Jager wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:41 am
Nice work Jerry.

You probably know this already, but you can get plastic sheets of ribbed roofing from hobby shops that would replicate the sides of the actual NART transporter if you wanted to have a crack at it.

ers
Tom wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:09 am
Cool, great job! Will you substitute the tractor later? Ixo has some nice replacements that might suit your rig.
Thanks Guys! I am aware of the plastic sheet Ian and have some. Trouble is, I haven't figured out how to bend on rounded corners with a tight enough radius that doesn't warp or distort the plastic sheet. If anyone has a solution, I'm interested. I have a old Corgi wrecker Tom in the parts box Tom which might also work. I need to see if it is right scale wise then find some new 'glass', mirrors, etc. I might keep an eye out for a suitable IXO. Just not sure how much time and money I want to put into this piece. :D

I also have and older tractor which would work with this trailer for a '60's vintage feel.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

Does the older Cab you are showing above use 4 wheel steering?
Jeff

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

I've gotten good results bending plastic sheet by lightly scoring the back of the sheet in the area of the bend, heating the sheet in a steamer and bending it around a dowel or metal rod. It takes several times in and out of the steamer to get a 90 degree bend.
Last edited by Alex_W on Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

JSB33 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:01 am
Does the older Cab you are showing above use 4 wheel steering?
Yes, it was two axle steering. The second axle helped maneuverability, as well as increase carrying capacity since that was regulated by the number of axles at the time in Europe. That truck is a Fiat 690 T1, predecessor to the new Fiat tractor.
Alex_W wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:04 pm
I've gotten goof results bending plastic sheet by lightly scoring the back of the sheet in the area of the bend, heating the sheet in a steamer and bending it around a dowel or metal rod. It takes several times in and out of the steamer to get a 90 degree bend.
Thanks for the idea! I tried slowly heating with a heat gun but could not keep the plastic from stretching and distorting some.

Bluesteel66

Post by Bluesteel66 »

Been reading the work you’ve done on Firestone truck and vans ... excellent conversion .Yes the Saviem is a great model to convert as I have done as well.
The SWB Ford Transit MK1 van from 1965 . Ford transits built in Southampton England For 50 years up until the decision to move Construction to Turkey for the European Market. Used by Firestone in 1966/7 as per the photo of the 1967 Le Mans paddock to left of the caravans . A Vanguards corgi 1/43 Coca Cola model is ideal for conversion. As the Spark model is the diesel LWB double rear axle Transit from 1970/1 mk1
The photo of Innes Ireland practicing jumping out of Ford GT40 .is a great photo capture of its time . British prepared/ owned car with Ford Transit MK1 LWB F, English Ltd Bournemouth England .. think still a Ford dealership where they were .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bluesteel66

Post by Bluesteel66 »

As discussed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bluesteel66

Post by Bluesteel66 »

Why I put two cobras in I don’t know 🤣

Bluesteel66

Post by Bluesteel66 »

The caravan availability question is a good one .
I found the re release of the classic Dinky more than suitable as it’s metal durable and totally period 1/43 scale . Available on eBay around £20 .based on the British and European model available at the time mid to late 1960s early 1970s
The Norev Digue Panoramic 1/43 is getting very scarce but can still be found and was a genuine real caravan of the time and seen at Le Mans as shown in photos and can be painted to required effect 👍🏻