Cheers for the New Year - A GP/F1 mostly + WRC display

stewil

Cheers for the New Year - A GP/F1 mostly + WRC display

Post by stewil » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:35 pm

All the best to you all for the New Year - All of it, and may your little car dreams come true.

Here is a display that I updated in December and hoped to post then.
I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Overview of the display which contains a mixture of diecast and white metal hand built models representing some of
the significant cars raced over a span of more than 100 years.

GP side close up

Middle Closeup

The middle section

The rt. side is a bit more modern with representatives through 2009.

WRC Rally cars through the years, my favorite is the Healy, and would like to find a
1964 Paddy Hopkirk Mini which would then become my new favorite.
Cheers and Happy Collecting,
Steve

DeadCanDanceR

Re: Cheers for the New Year - A GP/F1 mostly + WRC display

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:48 am

That's a fantastic display, as usual! :)

Happy New Year to you too, Steve! ;)
-Julio-

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:39 am

Lovely display

I'm thinking you might need a Group B car in the rally display. May i recommend a quattro 8-)

Andy
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:06 am

You have done it again, Steve.
Not only showing us cars that I did not know were done in scale but showing them artfully.

Happy New Year!
Jeff
ImageImage

guitardave_1

Post by guitardave_1 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:54 am

Steve, outstanding viewing yet again. For all the emphasis on more modern racers in my own collection, I love the stuff right through from the '30s. I would be on a slippery slope if someone were to produce some good value modern diecast of those classic GP cars - would love things like the Bugatti and Alfetta.

I also realise how lucky I've been to have seen so many of those cars in real life. I can match many of them against an identical or very similar car in my photo collection. I think that has a lot to do with why I would find models of them so desirable.
Click my banner to visit my diecast site

stewil

Post by stewil » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:32 pm

Andy - Do you have a specific 1/43 Quattro to recommend?
and
Dave - You are very fortunate to have seen many of these cars "for real", by any chance did you see them actually racing? Doubly fortunate then.
Living in the middle of the USA makes it very inconvenient to get to a race where the big boys are running.
Steve

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:14 am

stewil wrote:Andy - Do you have a specific 1/43 Quattro to recommend?
Now that's a can of worms - if you wish to represent Audi introducing 4wd to rallying then an early car from say the Monte Carlo 1981 would do it.
If you wanted to represent Group B then something from 1983/4 and then of course there are the SWB Sport Quattros which culminated in the 1987 Pikes Peak car.
ther eis a lot of choice - i have about 80 different variants

In terms of models the quality is in this order - Scala43 (Quattro collection not the handbuilds), Trofeu, Minichamps - ignore Ixo and the partworks and they resemble the cars only

Andy
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

guitardave_1

Post by guitardave_1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:34 am

stewil wrote:Dave - You are very fortunate to have seen many of these cars "for real", by any chance did you see them actually racing? Doubly fortunate then.
Living in the middle of the USA makes it very inconvenient to get to a race where the big boys are running.
Steve, I have seen many of them running for demonstration purposes, and some racing as well. I don't know how many individual cars I could pick out, but here is an overall shot to give a flavour.

It's more difficult to see racing of F1 machinery from about the '70s onwards, but there are 'masters' championships that cater for them.
Click my banner to visit my diecast site

zimbo

Post by zimbo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:45 am

Another awesome set-up there. My favourite in your collection there is the #5 John Player Special F1 car, my favourite colour scheme EVER... And NO I dont smoke so that has nothing to do with it :mrgreen: (cant stand the stuff)
Alistair

stewil

Post by stewil » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:55 pm

Dave - Thanks for the photo, recognized many of the cars in it but will probably never really hear their bark.

Andy - I have the '87 Pikes Peak car displayed elsewhere with the Peugeot 205 Pikes Peaker, and thanks for the mfgs suggestions.
BTW - Pikes Peak is just 40 miles south of where I live and I can see it every day. Have not attended the race in quite awhile though
and it's nature is changing as more and more of the surface is paved.
Steve

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:19 am

As you have the most extreme quattro i'd probably go for a Safari car as the most interesting of the standard cars. Doesn't matter which year really as they are all kitted out with bars and extra lights. Cars from 1980-82 were Group 4 before becoming Group B in 1983. SWB variants started appearing in late 84 but the factory still ran LWB deep into 85 and privateers ran them till the end of group B in 86. And that was that but the point had been made

I'd read about Pikes Peak changing due to the surface being sealed. I suspect the cars will get quicker and quicker until someone drives off the side at great speed

Andy
Andy

stewil

Post by stewil » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:18 pm

Andy,
Just ordered this Grp 4 HPI set and will be redoing my Rally display including the Audi and the Peugeot. Much appreciate your question that got me going.

A superb HPI Diecast H.Toivonen Memorial set of two 1/43 "Martini" Lancia Delta S4s, that won the Monte Carlo Rally of 1986 (car #7), & raced in the Tour de Corse of the same year (car #4), driven on both occasions by H.Toivonen & S.Cresto.
The detail on these model is stunning. All glazing is flush, & panel lines & applied decoration is extra fine.
The set, HPI No. 8036, is one of a Limited Edition of only 1560 produced, & is presented on a display plinth with a clear display case, & card sleeve.

Will post photos when I get this display redone. Used the following web site to learn more about Group 4 rally cars - WOW!!!! :o
http://groupb.stormloader.com/index.html Loved reading the history section especially.
Steve

George143

Post by George143 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:02 am

Wow, a display I can only dream of ..... very impressive. :D

Happy Holidays indeed Steve.

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:26 am

Steve

That is a brilliant HPI set. What it doesn't mention is the Tour De Corse car is the one in which Toivenan & Cresto died hence the memorial part

Worth getting examples of the Group B cars because of how extreme they are - RS200, 6R4, Quattro, S4, T16 are all very paowerful machines

Andy
Andy

JBRedondo

Post by JBRedondo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:01 pm

stewil wrote: WRC Rally cars through the years, my favorite is the Healy, and would like to find a
1964 Paddy Hopkirk Mini which would then become my new favorite.

Hi stewil. I haven't see Paddy Hopkirk, but would 1967 Rauno Aaltonen work?

Let me know. I may be able to help.

Jerry

P.S. You have a great collection there.

stewil

Post by stewil » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:25 pm

Hi Jerry,
That too is a beautiful Mini Love those roof mounted spares) but I did find a '64 Hopkirk Mini diorama which is on it's way from the UK. Unfortunately I am afraid I will have to wait
to see because I am on my way to Africa in a couple of days and mail delivery stops after tomorrow. Hopefully it will be waiting for me in three weeks when I pick up the mail.
Am planning on redoing the display and will post photos with the Hopkirk Mini and a couple of Group B rally cars I am planning to add too thanks to Andy.

BTW - Can you imagine the excitement of a young guy in America who drove a '60 Austin 850, and whose friends drag raced big American iron from stoplight to stoplight, and who also laughed at my little car with only 37 HP, HOWEVER - their cars never won the Monte Carlo Rally in 1964 and that gave me a great pleasure.
Also - great surprise.

PS Who made the 1967 Rauno Aaltonen model with the great box saying "The Mini Story"? Now that is cool. Minichamps?
Steve

JBRedondo

Post by JBRedondo » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:50 am

Hi Steve,

It is a dealer edition and it is made by Minichamps. you can buy it at any decent Mini dealer.

Jerry